Working at home? Considering working
What are the real issues and how can
you best manage working from home
If you are sure you want to work from
home, but need some ideas of what you can do, have a
look at Work
at Home Options.
If you are still thinking about
it, the following questions will help clarify what you
want and where you need to go next:
1. Do you want
to work from home? Is it the right thing for you? Will
you be happy working alone? Can you maintain motivation?
Have you the space at home to do this? If you're not
sure, here's a full checklist
to help you decide.
2. Do you want to be home for the children everyday,
or are you prepared to have them cared for elsewhere
for at least part of the time?
3. Do you want to go back to what you were doing or
do you want to do something new? If so, do you know
4. Can you get a part time role in that industry?
5. What hours do you want to work?
6. Is it realistic right now or should you wait until
the children are a little older?
7. Is now the time to re-train so you are ready to
work when the children are at school or preschool?
8. How much money do you want/need to earn?
9. Are you prepared to take a risk?
10. Are you prepared to invest in your future or do
you need a safer option?
11. Do you know the tax implications, and the facts
about child support?
12. Are there other motivations for working? e.g. contact
with other adults, using your mind in a different way.
What type of work would satisfy those needs?
13. Do you want to set up your own business or would
you prefer to work for someone else?
14. Do you know what's involved in setting up a small
Having looked at these questions, you
may be thinking one of the following:
to work from home, but I don't know what the options
to get part time work, but working at home is not
right for me.
to start my own business.
to retrain in a new area.
to reassess my skills and find something new to
Click on the links below to find out more about
the area you are interested in:
Work from Home options...
Here are some real work at home opportunities
Setting up your own business...
Find out what's involved in setting
up your own business(more)
Part time work options...
A lot of mums do work part time. Where
do they work and how do you find a job like this?(more)
Training and education...
What are the training options? Can
you train from home? (more)
Help Getting started...
Not sure where to go from here? Here
are some options to help you get started in the right